n. A large, usually unpartitioned floor over a factory, warehouse, or other commercial or industrial space. Such a floor converted into an apartment or artist's studio.
Looking for a way to escape traditional condo living? Davis Lofts is the answer: an aesthetically unique space in the heart of one of today's most distinguished urban centers, Providence Rhode Island. Contact one of our real estate professionals today to find out more about this exciting residential opportunity.
This four-story flat-roof building was constructed ca. 1875 when it first appears on the Hopkins map of that year. The complex itself is comprised of two four-story, rectangular, brick blocks connected by a four-story hyphen. The 4-by-11-bay structures are embellished with a wood cornice and dentils at the cornice line.
The original owners of the property were Curry & Richards, who used the building for the manufacture of jewelry. The property was transferred to Leander R. Peck in 1890 and in 1909 the property was transferred to Peck Realty, who appears as the building's owner on the 1918 map. Peck Realty retained ownership of the building through to 1946, while the building was rented out to numerous firms. The 1919 directory lists Henry A. Davis and Sons, manufacturers at 4 Meadow Street, which stands to the rear (northwest) of the Pine Street building. The 1919 Sanborn map confirms the presence of Davis & Sons on Meadow Street and possibly occupying some portion of the Pine Street building. The first floor of the structure was used as a machine shop, the second was used for a braid factory, the third was a jewelry shop, and the fourth floor was vacant. The 1937 map identifies the building as Henry A. Davis as does the 1944 map.
Some of the tenants throughout the structure's history include the Burton Shoe Company (1907), American Hand Laundry (1911), Eastern Jewelry Company (1927), and the Providence Felt Slipper Company (1927). In the mid-1980s the building contained a loft apartment on the fourth floor, a musician's loft on the third, a photo studio on the second floor, and an architect's office on the first.